If you can read this, thank a teacher.

Assalamualaikum.

I have mixed feelings today. Mixed, mixed feelings.
Largely perhaps due to hormonal imbalance every woman experience every month.
You know what I mean.

Today's May 16th. Teacher's Day. (It's a super late post)

16th May every year during school time was the awesomest day in school. Amidst midterm exam, 16th May was the most special day since it's the day that you can celebrate with teachers and friends; forgetting the line separating the level of students and and educators.
For a little while, of course.


Back in my high school days, it was the day that we; the students waited every year. We teased our teachers, joked with them, run and play with them. We have stage performance, usually choir or dance, and dressed the male teachers in drag-- and get female teachers don glittery shawls and dancing to Bollywood songs.

Those were the days.

I attend high school in Methodist Girls' Secondary School in Kuantan. It was in MGSS where I learn about life and people in the truest sense. World gave me a great introduction through that humble, shabby school. MGSS have a dear place in my heart, even though compared to others, I attend the school for just about two years.


That is why when any of my friends try to poke fun about my former alma mater I get pretty defensive. The fact that MGSS is a missionary school, situated next to church and was conducted pretty fully in English doesn't mean that it's totally secular.
And it doesn't justify any bad rap on MGSS. 
It was only in MGSS I found the term "fun" in school. I love school and all the learning and everything that comes out of it but in the school I attend prior to MGSS things were not all bright and sunny.
I was bullied for things that I stand on. One of the stupidest things that I had experienced were that, I was cast out from the crowd, just because I refuse to share my answer in exam with them!
Talk about people being ridonk-ulous.


That is why MGSS almost serves like a haven to me. The  place where I seek freedom of expression, where students are not merciless, where teachers were listening.
Where a part of growing up during the turbulent adolescent time does not comprised of being told to do everyone's homework.
MGSS shows me that friendship is not about getting yelled at because I told teachers that a "friend" copied my answer. It's not about being put in the middle of a circle of classmates, being told that they had enough of my refusal.


It's super small, so I don't think you can find me amidst the crazy MGSSKP Fifth-Formers Class '06!
I spent the awesome 2 years of high school in an equally awesome place. Proud to be a Methodisian! :D


Happy Teacher's Day!

Comments

Popular Posts