...and the mirror melts.

Assalamualaikum.

Me and my failed attempt to get a-whimsical-yet-hopefully-attractive blogpost title. Sometimes I gawked at Miras' admiring her creativity. Creative juices do differ from one another, eh?


I blog this evening for no specific reason. I have papers to attend to but I'll let that tension cool off for a while while I go a bit astray during this revision week. (Even though Balqis my roommate is always found memorizing some legal-jargons-thing; practically chanting on CTAs, CPS, SOLACs etcetcetc which inadvertently made me scared about the finals--but of course life as a law student is crazy anyways)

Ahem. 
Back on track.

I  do wish to speak about one thing which torment the people nowadays. It is a right, yet, sometimes so restrained that we practically too scared to put such right to a good use.
Right to speak. 
Especially the right to express self-opinion.

Basically, I am that person who thought expressing self-opinion is an option. It's a right, and by right, a person holds the ultimate "option" button, whether to express one's thoughts or not.
I often  chose for the latter. So that there will be no incidents of butthurting  since I do speak fluent sarcasm
eheh.

When there is so many movements condemning the government here and there where people are exercising their own right to free speech, I stay mum about the whole thing, keeping things to myself. It's not my nature to speak my heart out publicly.
The whole "Criminal Law II class incident" was weird though. That's an exception! Outta league, so outta topic. Ajeem, Nooby and Nurul korang jangan senyum! hahahaha
So, it just goes without saying that on facebook, I played the part of a silent reader; I read statuses without leaving footprint before forming opinions by my own. And that opinion is always left undisclosed.

Recently, I read something wrote by a Japanese friend, Haruna. Her facebook status, to be exact; she was gushing about the movie "New Year's Eve" which she watched recently with few friends. Some of her friends joined in asking whether the movie is her recommendation. And they were happily discussing about it for a while.
  And so I thought, up until Benio "always the party-pooper" Suzuki decided to detonate his recently-homemade TNT on an innocent, happy and dandy conversation.


Yay. Way to go, Benio. 

Well you see, Sir Benio here, is, according to Japanese standard--an eccentric person, for the fact that he display prominent disinterest on any Japanese-y attitude or practices, despite of being Japanese himself. 
Does the phrase xenocentrism rings a bell? While xenocentrism is utterly common amongst Meleis, it is by far a weird disposition a Japanese can occupy. Knowing him, as I spent 4 months studying in the same class with him, I think Benio is someone who always had a say about every single perception the other Japanese think about.

Benio continues, before Haruna comes to her own defence:

Sungguh profesional defense dia. Kalau Haruna belajar kat UiTM dah lama orang rekrut masuk UTMara Debate Club #lol.

So come another friend, Sakae:

Haruna's last point reaaaallllly made me think. Having an opinion is indeed important (ignore the USA part, since these people revered USA so much ><) but I don't think a persuasive opinion is THAT important. I mean, every people have their liberty to jump onto whichever bandwagon they want, so a person need not to force their thought/perception upon others.
Of course, unless there are some sort of religious reasons behind it, some opinion can be compulsory. 

Yet again, the distinction whether an opinion is good or not depends on whether an opinion is voiced out. If it is left latent in the deepest, bottomest part of your heart, nothing will change. Margaret Atwood said: 
"Powerlessness and silence go together."
Indeed, it is so has been proven. Movements or revolutions are initiated by this right. Persuasive or not, that is a whole another story. 
It is just that whether you have this; the so-called GUTS to express your views.

As for me, I don't speak unless asked. I don't go around parading that I hate this or love that, before being given permission beforehand. I believe silence is virtue. Unless it is too unbearable (like the Criminal law II Incident :P) I will keep my mouth completely sealed.

But referring to current brouhahas happening around us lately, I humbly believe that these people should, before opening their mouths speaking whatnots, pause and THINK for a second.
The organ provided between your ears need exercise first before you can exercise your indisputable right to free speech. Hate is the first thing that a person should avoid.
And please, while you browse your BBs, Samsung Galaxy II, Iphones, Ipads, I-sepak-karang-sebab-dok-sebok-WhatsApp-dalam-kelas, please remember that civilization does not confine its definition to  your ability to obtain state-of-the-art technology paraphernalia.
It includes improvement your own behaviour, dear brudders and sistas.


So, tengok diri, selami hati, muhasabah sendiri, ada otak pakai sendiri. Masing-masing sudah besar, at the very least, you can use the gift to make reasonable deductions yourself.

  Till then...! *sambil buat cartwheel and fade into the distant setting sun*

Comments

mira zakaria said…
wah saya terhidu nama saya disebut2 di sini! <3
amal X icchan said…
hahaha, ye nama anda memang diletak disini, so stop sniffing! :DD

Popular Posts